Thanks For Stopping By!

Sidewing Creations Bonanza Booth

The Hunger Site

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

How have your sales been lately? Mine haven't changed too much, but then I'm just a small shop and I don't get too many sales. I sell jewelry and I tend to be more of a hobbyist. My product is more of a luxury too.

Has the economy hurt you? Yes? No?

As I talk with some of my fellow handmade artists I find that many of them have not been as hurt by the economy as they expected to be and they think they know why. Many believe that they produce quality goods, with an entrepreneurial spirit and excellent customer service. They often offer products that are better for the environment or at least their packaging is in some way due to its type or recycling. Even though the places they sell online, such as Etsy.com, are global, people do not mind sending money outside their own country when they know the money is going directly to the person doing the work.

What do you think? Are you an artist or company that makes handmade items? Do you sell online, craft fairs or in brick & mortar? Have you been hurt badly be the economy or not as much? Do you think the points made above are accurate? Do you have more to add?

I'd like to hear your comments and I'm sure others would too!!

Thanks for stopping by!
Wendy

1 comment:

Uneekdolldesigns said...

I honestly can't tell that I have been hurt by the economy...sales seem like they always have- sometimes a huge tidal wave, then maybe a few spurts here and there, a quiet few days maybe, then back again.

I enjoy what I do, and so I try and use the slow times for catching and stocking up. I am greatful for the opportunity to sell my art! :)